BC First Party Principles
- BC First recognizes the concerns of the citizens of British Columbia surrounding special interests financial lobbying for favourable legislation. With our party, MLA’s will be responsible for their constituents in their riding and the Province as a whole. This reduces the influence of the ‘pay to play’ system in place. Simply put, the good of BC comes first.
- End “electing a dictatorship” by making the Executive branch (premier and cabinet) accountable to the Legislative Assembly through an open committee process.
Major proposals (such as Site C) or policy change as well as budgets and budget amendments must go before an open legislative committee for consideration and approval. Legislative decisions of a predetermined dollar value/environmental impact must have input from the people most impacted.
- The Executive branch to consist of Premier and 12 members appointed by the premier, from other than the elected members, based on expertise and experience.
Our objective is to eliminate inexperienced people being appointed to Ministerial positions with little to no understanding of that position. Or switching from on post to another simply because they have shown they can follow orders from the biggest party donors, special interests and insiders.
- Limit the number of Members of the Legislative Assembly to 60 with a review and recommended changes, every 7 years, to be placed before the electorate for approval.
Review the amount of MLA’s and simplify the process in reducing government while still balancing the need to have proper representation in regards to population and geographical size.
- Limit election funding to “individuals” and to no more than $1,000 per donation.